If you are like us, you are certainly counting down the days till America’s favorite foodie holiday – Thanksgiving! Each year we welcome family and friends to our table to share a feast and give thanks for our many life blessings. If you have friends or family visiting for the long weekend, you’ll certainly need to feed them breakfast in addition to the big feast. Here are a couple of festive pumpkin Thanksgiving breakfast treats to share with your guests:
Pumpkin Pie Smoothies
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup (120g) vanilla Greek yogurt1
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice2
- 1/2 cup (120ml) skim milk3
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup (150g) pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup ice
- Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender in the order listed. Blend on high for at least 3 minutes or until smooth – this may take longer if your blender isn’t very strong. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Add more milk to thin out if it is too thick. Add a couple more ice cubes for a thicker texture, if desired. Add more spices to taste, if desired.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hot espresso or strong brewed coffee
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Combine the milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in a medium microwave safe bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and vent with a small hole. Microwave until the milk is hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk vigorously until the milk mixture is foamy, about 30 seconds. Pour the espresso or coffee into a large mug and add the foamed milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
And of course when you get worn out from cooking, join us for breakfast in Denver over Thanksgiving weekend! We’ll be closed on Thanksgiving Day, but will be open and ready to serve you over the rest of the holiday!