At The Original Pancake Denver, we take breakfast very seriously. One of our favorite breakfast menu items is the omelette. Light and fluffy, filled with a favorite topping, omelettes are always a crowd pleaser! There are many methods to omelette making, and most home chefs have a favorite technique.
Here are a few tips for creating the perfect omelette at home.
1. To start, make sure your eggs are whipped until they are light and even a bit frothy. Some chefs recommend adding one tablespoon of
water to make sure the egg mixture is extra light. For a solid meal, we usually use three eggs.
2. Choose the appropriate sized pan. A 7-8” non-stick frying pan is perfect for a three-egg omelette.
3. Warm your pan over medium heat. Add fat to the pan to ensure your omelette never sticks. This step is very important; if you skimp on the fat you will create an omelette disaster! Butter, oil, bacon fat or a combination of any of these three will work. In general, you want to use at least a tablespoon to ensure your omelette does not stick. Tilt your pan in all directions to make sure the fat evenly coats the pan.
4. Turn your pan down to low heat. All omelette connoisseurs agree that the best omelettes are cooked low and slow! No one enjoys brown or burned eggs. Add your eggs to the pan and sprinkle your favorite toppings over the top.
5. This next step is one of great debate. Once the eggs are in the pan, some chefs recommend lightly stirring the eggs and pulling them away from the sides to ensure evenly cooked eggs. Others recommend you do not touch the eggs once they are in the pan; instead place a lid over top and let the omelette cook covered on very low heat for 5-8 minutes. We recommend experimenting with both to see which works best for you.
6. Once the omelette has finished cooking, fold in half or in thirds and ENJOY!
Though we can’t share all of our omelette trade secrets, we encourage you to find and perfect your favorite technique. This breakfast (or lunch!) dish is certainly an art and patience will garner great rewards!