We all enjoy breakfast or brunch in Denver with our kids, it is a truly special way to spend a weekend morning with our families. For the mornings you stay home, it is great to get kids involved in the kitchen. Even the smallest tots enjoy mixing, stirring, and cracking eggs! Here are a few of our favorite recipes to make with our kids. These recipes are easy and fast, meaning breakfast will be on the table in a jiffy, especially with the extra help from your kids!
Chocolate Chip Pancake Poppers
This recipe is essentially chocolate chip pancakes in mini-muffin form so your kids don’t have to worry about flipping messy pancakes on a hot griddle. Its as easy as 1- 2 -3 and of course they are fun to eat too!
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then stir in milk, maple syrup, butter, egg, vanilla and cinnamon. Fold in mini chocolate chips until just combined. Divide batter evenly between mini muffin cups.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, with maple syrup.
We love this recipe because there is actually real fruit hiding below all the delicious toppings! It’s fun and healthy too!
12 oz. cream cheese, softened, cut into thirds
2 tsp. honey, divided
1/2 c. melted chocolate
2 drops pink food coloring
Assorted sprinkles, for decorating
- Divide cream cheese among three small bowls. In one bowl, add 1 teaspoon honey. In another bowl, add melted chocolate. In the last bowl, add remaining teaspoon honey and pink food coloring. Stir each bowl together until combined.
- Slice apples and use a biscuit or cookie cutter to hollow out centers.
- Spread mixtures on apple slices and top with sprinkles.
And of course if you aren’t in the mood for making a mess of your kitchen, come join us at The Original Pancake House for breakfast out in Denver!